Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Holiday Sugar Cookie Recipe
December 13, 2013
Holiday Sugar Cookie Recipe
Gluten-Free , Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Corn-Free
An easy recipe for gluten and dairy-free sugar cookies. Substitute butter for shortening if you prefer. For simple decoration, you can use egg white before baking to stick glitter or sprinkles to the cookie’s surface.
- 1 cup Sugar (210 g)
- 1 cup Palm Shortening [or Unsalted Butter if you prefer] (226 g)
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (you may want to reduce to 1/4 tsp. Salt if you use Butter instead of Shortening)
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 cup Sweet Rice Flour (159 g)
- 2/3 cup + 2 tsp. Potato Starch (136 g)
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour (28 g)
- 1 tsp. Xanthan Gum
- Egg white and sprinkles/glitter (for decorating)
Let’s Get Baking
- In a large bowl, cream Shortening (or Butter) and Sugar on medium speed about one minute until combined. Scrape bowl if necessary.
- Add Egg and Vanilla, mix on medium speed. Scrape bowl if necessary.
- Combine Salt, Cinnamon, Xanthan Gum and Flours in a separate bowl. Whisk or sift to remove lumps.
- Add Salt, Cinnamon, Xanthan Gum and Flours to mixture, half at a time. Mix at a low speed until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface (brown rice or sweet rice flour works well), about ¼” thick.
- Cut out with cookie cutters and gently place on baking sheet. Make sure there is space in between cookies.
- Continue to reform and roll out dough until you cut all cookies.
- If you want to decorate, brush on egg white and then sprinkle with glitter/sprinkles before baking.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven when slightly browned. Let cookies cool five minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. If decorating with frosting, cool completely before starting.
from → Gluten Free Recipes