Crave Bakery Gluten Free “Oatmeal” Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
In honor of Celiac Awareness Month, we are sharing some of our favorite gluten-free and dairy-free recipes actually made in our bakery. When Crave opened, it was still generally accepted in the GF community that all oats were gluten contaminated. Our solution to this problem- we developed a recipe with a workaround that created an oatmeal texture using almond meal and shredded coconut instead of oats. These days you can find oats that are safe but we still like the chewy, flavorful result of our non-oat version. Check out our suggestions for favorite Baking Tools. Enjoy!!
This gluten free recipe and many others can be found in our cookbook:
Gluten-Free “Oatmeal” Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Corn-Free
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 10 min
Makes: 608 g, Enough for 24 Cookies
✓Mixer or Beaters
✓Coffee Grinder if you need to grind Flax Seeds
✓Scale if you have one (for measuring by weight)
✓1/2 cup +3 Tbsp. Brown Rice Flour (103 g)
✓1/2 tsp. Baking Powder (1.3 g)
✓3/8 tsp. Salt (1.9 g)
✓3/4 tsp. Cinnamon (1.8 g)
✓1/4 tsp. Nutmeg (1 g)
✓1/8 tsp. Allspice (.3 g)
✓2 1⁄2 Tbsp. Flax Meal (24 g)
✓1 Egg (50 g)
✓2 Tbsp. Apple Sauce (33 g)
✓3 Tbsp. Almond Meal (17 g)
✓1/4 tsp. Baking Soda (1.3 g)
✓5/8 cup Palm Shortening (141 g)
✓5/8 cup Sugar (125 g) [you can also use Sucanat or unrefined sugar if you prefer]
✓3/8 cup Shredded Coconut (33 g)
✓Gluten Free Baking Spray
Let’s Get Baking
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure out all dry ingredients- Brown Rice Flour, Bak- ing Powder, Salt, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice. Whisk together to break up any clumps and set aside.
- Grind Flax Seeds if necessary to make the Flax Meal.
- In mixer, beat Egg, Applesauce, Flax Meal, Almond Meal and Baking Soda with paddle attachment on low.
- Add Shortening and Sugar into mixer until well combined. Beat on low.
- Slowly add dry ingredients, half at a time. Mix on low and then medium until fully combined.
- Fold in Coconut, then Chocolate Chips. Beat on low. Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and mix one last time until Coconuts and Chips are evenly distributed.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray lightly with oil.
- Scoop rounded Tablespoon (25 g) balls of the cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Feel free to drop larger scoops for bigger cookies.
10. Bake for 8 ‒ 10 minutes until edges are golden and cookies are set. Remove and cool to room temperature before wrapping and storing.
Read more about Crave on our website.